a little bit of this and a little bit of that

a little bit of this and a little bit of that
georgia peach

Monday, July 25, 2011

'CHRISTIAN SHIRT WEARER'

CHRISTIAN SHIRT WEARER
BY:
GEORGIA PROBST

We were going to have a church picnic after the service was over. I would be a clown and so would Norm. It was going to be his first time ever in a clown suit.
Norm and I went out to the truck to get all of my clowning supplies.. clothes shoes candy and prizes.
There came down the alley, a grubby looking old man, using a cane to steady himself.
I said "Hello and how are you?"
"Oh, I am alright for an old alcoholic." He slurred.
"Well what are you doing right now?" I questioned. "Nothing, why do you ask?"
I said "Well, church is starting in about five minutes, why don't you come in and join us?"
"I am too dirty and I look and smell like ... " I said, "Hey! Look at me.. I am wearing jeans and my toe nails look like that too."
"But I don't know anyone in there." He protested.
"Well, my name is Georgia and that is Norm, now you know two people." I persisted.
"Oh alright, but can I bring my whiskey bottle in there with me?"
"Sure." I said knowing that My God is able to deliver from addictions of every kind.
So we made our way into the church. I could see the people cringe as he walked down the aisle passed them and turn their heads so the stench didn't upset their stomachs.
I kindly asked the people who share my pew to please scoot down so that we could fit.
We sat down and he sat very close to me.
Now right here, I have to interject some honesty.. He reeked of leftover whiskey so badly that I did almost vomit. I prayed to the Lord that he would close my "smeller" so that I could sit next to him. He was ripe!
He leaned in real close to talk to me and the stench was powerful. But I realized that God is more powerful and this man needed the miracle he told me not to expect.
So all during the service. Church went on around us. He sat the entire time, so did I, so that he didn't feel uncomfortable.
He was coming out of a drunken hangover and he was incredibly loud. He talked through the service and I could feel all the people around me, the vibes they sent were un-mistakenly loud.
When it was time for the offering plate to be passed. He blurted out, "Well, I don't have no money to put in the plate... I feel like ... "
I assured him that God didn't need his money and suggested.. "You could offer that whiskey bottle that just fell out of your pocket to God and I bet He would fill you to overflowing with a peace and a joy that you have never had before."
He practically yelled right out loud.."NOW YOU ARE ASKING TOO MUCH, THERE LADY!"
I said, "Look at my eyes and tell me does that bottle ever completely satisfy you, or does it leave you empty every time?"
He said "No it doesn't satisfy me and yes I feel empty."
I said "The reason it can't satisfy you is because it is the wrong shape. You are trying to fill your emptiness with whiskey when only God can fill that spot."
He said "You are probably right, young lady and very persuasive too, but I have been cuddling this bottle for nearly fifty years. It will be a hard habit to break!"
I said "I understand, and I also know that Jesus can set you free in an instant from the desire to ever take a drink again."
Then it was time for the altar call. I said "Would you like me to go up there with you?"
He said, I am in dirty shorts and I smell bad, plus I am all broken out from whiskey." I told him "God is concerned with the inside of your heart not the clothes that you wear, or how you smell."
He didn't go forward, but allowed me to pray with him in our seat, then Norm came over and prayed with him and talked to him. Then we asked him if he wanted the pastor to come pray with him, he said "Oh yes, that would be good."
So I went forward and asked the pastor to come pray. We talked about all his issues that he thought prevented him from coming to the Lord.
The pastor prayed and nothing miraculous happened, though I wished it would have. That would have been truly a miracle and it could yet happen.
Then came the lunch after church. I took my friend out to the yard and fetched him a soda.
He asked if he could sneak a drink of his whiskey and I said well you are on church property, he asked if he could smoke and I told him there were a lot of little ones around and perhaps he could hold off a bit. He was totally okay with that. (well almost)
So I went on my merry way ,went and got in my clown suit.
Now here is the interesting part. A clown can say or do things that a regular person can not.
There sat my wino friend on a broken down picnic table and there were all the "Christian Shirt Wearers" way far away, not talking to him or treating him like a person at all.
So "Bubbles" went over to a couple of people and said, "Hey! Do you think you could go talk to my friend, he is lonely and has not found any friends yet.
My oh my, their shirts nearly fell off with that request. I was not happy. But you know a couple of people reluctantly went over and shook his hand and introduced themselves, ( and I bet they ran to get their hand sanitizer when they were done too) ( oh sorry.. that was me being sarcastic.. or was it the truth?)
I didn't see anyone make room at their table, I guess the Inn was full!
So my friend stayed the entire time. He told me that he would come back next week. I smiled broadly, gave him a hug and told him I would be expecting him.
He said, "I have to go now, I need a drink and a smoke.. I am dying for both!"

Now here comes some observations.

The man had lots of excuses as to why God wouldn't want to help him.. he thought he was too dirty to come to the Lord and that his years of addictions made him unfit for God.
Yes it is true that his addictions have kept him separated from God, but God loves all of us and wants us to come to Him, so that He can restore us and make us whole. God desires to have a relationship with each of us and to give us life more abundantly!
The "Christian Shirt Wearers.." My! They sure do look good.. coming to church all dressed in their 3 piece suits and Best Sunday dresses, but underneath that, they are not so clean now are they. I think their self righteousness stinks worse than the left over alcohol that my friend wore as bad cologne.
Hey! I am not suggesting that they should hug him (for a long time or that they have to become his very best friend) or even invite him for dinner.. but maybe that is what he needs.
I was nauseated more by their repugnance towards him than the smell arising from his whiskey wrecked body.
I thought didn't Jesus say that church is for the sick.
Well that made me sick to think that here is a man who is badly in need of the miracle he told me not to expect and there they all stay far away as possible.
I hope that my friend does come to church next Sunday. I (secretly hope ) that he is able to take a bath before he comes (because I am a human with a weak stomach for pungent odors) but if he is not able to bathe, I sincerely pray that God will meet him where he is and deliver him from the things that as he so adequately described.. he's dying for..
help me Jesus to be more like you and to take off my "Christian Shirt" attitude and truly be a Christian. To love the unlovable just as you loved. To see them with your eyes of compassion and not to let the stench of their lives deter me from leading them to the One who loves them and gave His Son to save their soul from Hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment